What causes burning sensation in the chest while swallowing?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi, i have had a dull burning in my chest that happens any time I swallow. This burning last 1-2 secs and happens whether I drink water, juice or even my own saliva. This has been going on for about 3 months. My doctor diagnosed me with gastritis and put me on antacids but they did not change anything. I went back to my dr and referred me for a endoscopy but has taken 3 months to get scheduled. I finally have a date to go at the end of the month but recently noted that I am getting new symptoms such a nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain and cramps. I also had a loss in weight by 8lbs within a week. What should I do? Wait for my scheduled endoscopy in 12 days or go seek emergent care? Thanks for your reply
Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute enteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello my dear patient,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
Nausea loose stools vomiting pain etc could be symptoms of gastroenteritis.Gastroenteritis means inflammation of gut wall as a result of bacterial,parasitic or viral infection.
I would suggest you to go for few tests
Ultra sound abdomen
Stool test under microscope
Complete blood count
Total and differential leucocyte count.
If stool test is positive for bacterial or protozoal infection.Start taking Zithromax(Azithromycin 500 mg once daily) and secnidazole 1 gram daily for 5 days.
Along with it take Fybrogel husk,It will increase the bulk of your stools.
Tab imodium 4mg stat folowed by 2 mg twice daily can be added to control frequency of motions.
Eat light and easily digestible food.
Drink plenty of water and electrolytes to maintain rehydration.
If you want to go to emergency room you can go there and get these tests done.
Its not gastritis.Its just a co incidence that enteritis is present along with gastritis.

Thanks!

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation in the chest while swallowing? 1 hour later
I have had a stool test done which were negative for blood or h. Pylori. Blood work was also normal except for slightly elevated cholesterol. Abdominal pain and bloating is in center of stomach under rib cage with cramping in belly area. I have also had a persistent cough for several months now. I have not reduced my diet and suddenly started losing weight. I’m concerned about these symptoms sounding consistent with the symptoms of a friend who just passed from gastro-esophageal cancer.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again stool test has to be done to rule out infection.Its called stool routine and microscopy.
Stool for occult blood is a different test.

Esophageal carcinoma is usually associated with Dysphagia where patient usually feels that something is stuck or choking food pipe.Ususlly patient is unable to eat any solud food and there is severe lose of appetite.
I would initially recommend you to go for an ultrasound as well as stool microscopy.
Without proper investigation no one could say that it cannot be a carcinoma but clinically chances are almost negligible.
Follow up with reports.
Endoscopy is just after 12 days and would make things clear.
Regards!