What causes burning sensation in the chest, diarrhea and headache?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For the last week I've been experiencing a burning in the middle of my chest that radiates to me back. I also have an upset stomach on and off. Additionally some right flank pain. I haven't lost my appetite and I'm only uncomfortable for a short while after I eat. Lots of burping and lose stools. My gallbladder was removed in January. *** Also having new headaches - shooting down my right side into my nose, right side.***
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gastroenteritis with GER and sinusitis is most probable cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Burning in the middle of chest radiating to hte back is most probably due to esophagitis as a result of GERD as you have burping too.
Right flank pain, loose stools and upset stomach indicate there may be entero-colitis.
Removal of gall bladder may not be responsible for this; hence I would advise you the following:
Consult your Doctor for clinical evaluation, examination and insist for investigations of stool, blood and urine.
Ultrasonography of abdomen.
A course of a PPI like Omeprazole, antacids and Domperidone should help you for chest pain.
If there is an evidence of intestinal infection, a course of an antibiotic, metronidazole and probiotics may be needed.
Go for a soft bland diet in small frequent ways.
No oily and spicy foods at all; no aerated drinks.
Right sided headache shooting down the into right nose needs an examination by an ENT Surgeon and Further investigations like CT scan of the sinuses and head may be needed to pin-point the cause so that a proper treatment can be started.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.