What causes burning sensation in the anus and during urination?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: HI! I am experiencing burning of the skin outside the anus and around the inside of the labia when i urinate. The burning is intense, like my urine is too acidic. How can i remedy this? I put prep H around the anus and nystatin and triamcinolone ointment inside my labia. That soothes the burn but everytime i urinate, I'm back to the same burning. It's painful to sit or walk..
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This sounds like a possible vulvar yeast infection

Detailed Answer:

A common cause of burning and redness of the skin around the vagina and anus is related to vulvar and peri-rectal yeast. This is a very common problem. And yes, it would hurt to have urine touch the skin.

You can think of this as very similar to a diaper rash on a newborn. You can talk to your doctor about it, but many patients would buy some Clotrimazole cream over the counter and apply it to the skin that is affected. When you are getting ready to urinate, you could preemptively apply some barrier cream (such as Desitin) to protect the skin from the urine.

Does this make sense and does this help ?
Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Does the infection need prescribed medication to cure it? The clotrimazole cream you recommended, does that cure the infection or just soothe the tissues?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can get a prescription or treat over the counter

Detailed Answer:
In the perfect world in cases like this, you would get a prescription for a medication called Diflucan and then just apply the barrier cream. This would require a trip to the doctor which is probably the best way to go. But, while waiting for a visit, you can assume that it is most likely a yeast infection.

Yes, the clotrimazole cream is a yeast medication and should help to cure the problem. You should consider applying it 2-3 times per day. Put the barrier cream on when you go to bed and wear a pad. This might be all that it takes to clear up the problem.

But please consider a visit to your doctor to get this checked out, especially if it does not get better quickly over the next few days.

Dr. Tim