What causes burning sensation in penis?

Dr. Naveen Poola

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello Doctor,

I have a problem that is sometimes I gets a pain/burning sensation in my penis. I have done circumcision when I was 11 or 12 years old. Pain is like pricking with a needle or I can say like a burning sensation. I am having this problem for a year now and last year on the month of July I had done a urine culture and there was no problem found by my doctor. He told everything looks fine. But I can say after that also some days (may be twice in a week or can be more than that) I feels an irritation in penis. It will be a sharp pain sometimes and will last only for some seconds. Then it will disappear. Will this be connected with my food/drinks which I intake ? I use to have the problem with my bowel movements sometimes (gas trouble is there). Is there a connection between the digestion and urinary problems ?
Sometimes I feel if I go to toilet and apply more pressure for bowel movement and I feels this is also giving pain in penis. While passing the urine there is no pain. And whether worry/Anxiety can trigger these types of problem because this is not happening on all the days. I am working in a IT company and my job demands to sit for a prolonged time. Will this be a cause ? What do you think about this ? Expecting your reply soon.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
renal stones, urethritis, epididymitis etc

Detailed Answer:

Thank You for consulting HealthcareMagic!

Various things like urinary tract infection, renal stones, urethritis, epididymitis etc can be suspected in your case. As urine culture is negative, remaining things need to be strongly considered. I suggest you to undergo investigations like complete urine exam, ultrasound scan of abdomen/pelvis/scrotum in addition to thorough physical exam to get the proper diagnosis, so that appropriate management can be planned.

Now, I would like to answer your specific questions- Will this be connected with my food/drinks which I intake? - Very rarely

Is there a connection between the digestion and urinary problems?- Not usually

And whether worry/Anxiety can trigger these types of problem because this is not happening on all the days.-

No.

I am working in a IT company and my job demands to sit for a prolonged time. Will this be a cause ?

NO

Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future. Kindly rate the answer if you are satisfied.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj