What causes burning sensation in penis while on Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim?

Posted on Mon, 18 Jan 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My doctor put me on powerful antibiotics called Sulfamethoxazole-TMP DS tablets 2 times a day. I have a slight burning sesatione from approx tip of my penis the mid range area. when I urinate absolutly no problems how long will this go on Doc put me on 2 nd set of 10 days.......any idea.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
probably related to urinary tract infection

Detailed Answer:

the most common causes of the burning sensation are various kind of infections in the urinary tract (mainly cystitis, urethritis, prostatitis), injuries and obstruction of the lower part of the urinary tract. Sometimes there are combinations of the above.

You haven't mentioned the reason that your doctor prescribed the antibiotics to you. Prostatitis?

The drug itself is not supposed to cause such symptoms.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 26 minutes later
Thanks, Yes the doc checked my urine it was ok. He ask and I mentioned to him I extra unprotected sex the day before He put me on the antibiotics. It was a precautionary. I learned my lesson IF that's what happen..........I have no leakage nor anything else noticable. from time to time there is NO burning sesation and then it comes back and goes does this mean the antibiotics are working.I was just making sure from you, Thanks Happy New Year.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's strange it comes and goes

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

A symptom that comes and goes particularly if it does so without having been treated is a little strange. Urethritis may come with negative cultures but some evidence in a urinalysis is expected. Some urethritis pathogens won't be eradicated with TMP-SMX DS. I haven't quite understood the reason that your doctor treats you for that long, but I haven't also examined you or seen your tests.

Anyway, I hope you get better soon!

Happy New Year!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 22 minutes later
Doc, Like right now the area under the hood part of the tip of the penis inside to be exact some burning sesation not much.........I am drinking cranberry juice perty hvy
right now probably 2 8 oz glasses pur day. Should I still refrain from sex with my wife or should I wait till I use up all the antibiotics remaining, thanks again
Brief Answer:
you'd better be cautious

Detailed Answer:
If your doctor has no other better explanation for this symptom then you'd better use some caution regarding sexual contacts, although your urine seems to be OK. You'd better take the full course of the antibiotics. Taking antibiotics for less time than prescribed may lead to the development of resistant strains of bacteria.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis