What causes burning sensation in chest?

Cardiologist
Question
I have a burning sensation in my chest on the left upper side and at times radiating to the left side of ribcage. I also have a pricking sensation along with that. I underwent angioplasty in XXXXXXX 14 and on Clopilet A and Ranx 5OO for heart and Losar H for BP and Novastat T/G for cholesterol? My cardiologist says since basic parameters are normal and there is no shortness of breath, palpitation there is no need for further examination? But this sensation creates anxiety in me! What should I do?
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Satish Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take sublingual Sorbitrate 5mg when there is pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I have just gone through the history provided by you, but I need some more info to help you better.
1. Does this burning sensation in Lt. Chest and arm get worse on walking or climbing stairs?
2. Have you tried taking sublingual nitrate when it hurts? If so was there any relief?
3. Was any follow-up stress test (TMT , Thallium or Echo) done following your angiplasty in Jan? If so, had it been positive for provocable myocardial ischaemia?

If your response to any of the above queries is yes, then most likely it is angina. In that case you may consult your doctor who may add Nitrate to your medication.
Alternatively, if your BP remains in lower side Nicorandil may be of help.
Pl do get an ECG done if remain symptomatic like this and see your doc with previous reports.
Wishing you all the best.
- Dr. Satish.

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation in chest? 1 hour later
1. No, the burning sensation and pricking does not get worse and in fact is an intermittent phenomenon. I am fine while walking, climbing stairs or doing excercise.
2.Sublingual sorbitrate does not relieve the pricking
3. TMT was done last week and was normal and there are no adverse findings.

Answered by Dr. Satish Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Excellent..this isn't Angina.

Detailed Answer:
Great....!
Now, this isn't angina and you don't need to worry from cardiac point of view.
This could be 1. Periarthritis of the Lt. Shoulder, 2. A radiculopathy pain die to Cervival Spondylitis or 3 just a local paraesthesia.
All such pains, if quite uncomfortable may be relieved by simple analgesics including paracetamol. Discuss about the aforementioned possibilities with your treating physician.