What causes burning sensation in chest and throat while swallowing?

ENT Specialist
Question
I woke up this morning and it hurts, almost stings, to swallow or yawn. Down the front of my neck towards the bottom it hurts to touch. Also burns down my chest after I swallow. I feel fine. Can this be caused by sleeping funny on your neck? Or is something else going on. Down the front of my neck and burns into my chest and to the right side of my chest.
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you may be ving acid reflux!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

From your symptoms it looks like that you are having acid reflux from your stomach is causing the burning sensation in front of your neck and chest.

The acid reflux can damage the lining of the throat and this can lead to an infection , which may be causing the pain while swallowing.

I would like you to avoid hot and spicy food , alcohol, smoking , tea and coffee and take a light dinner 3 hours before going to sleep.

I would also like you to meet your doctor , who will examine you and confirm this , he will also prescribe you the necessary medications.

You will be fine , dont worry!!

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation in chest and throat while swallowing? 5 hours later
I am now running a low fever of 101. Could it still be acid reflux?

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
fever is due to an infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Fever is due to a throat infection and you may need antibiotics for it.

The throat has become infected because the normal lining of the throat would have been damaged by the acid reflux hence making it more prone to infection.

Please meet your doctor for confirming this and further treatment!!