What causes burning sensation during urination?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I got out yesterday having to P and it was burning and felt like I had to P all day drink a lot of water I do have ,Vulvadynia, which sometimes has the same symptoms as a urine infection I don't get them very often haven't had one for seven years I went to the doctor and they did a urine test and said that it was clear but why am I still having the symptoms , how accurate are these test .

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do you urinate often in small quantities with pain?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for reaching out to us.

These are the two likely options discussed below:

1. If you urinate often in small volumes with pain, this often suggest a urinary tract infection. If possible, I will suggest that you upload these results for review. If your symptoms persists, I will suggest that you do a urine culture so as to tell whether for sure you have a clean urine test or not. This is because the test will allow to see whether germs grow in your urine sample or not.

2. Also, can you make the difference whether it hurts when it touches the vulva or does it hurt while passing through the urethra/urine passages? If it is pain alone only when urine touches the vulva and urine is not in small quantities, then this is likely not to be an infection. Vulvadynia might be the cause rather.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Keep me posted on what the exact nature. If you have nay further worries, feel free to talk to me about them all.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad