What causes burning sensation during urination?

Dr. Venkat Sivayogi

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have been having a burning sensation when I urinate. Today, I had a spot of blood when I finished. I do have a stricture. Could I have an infection? Do I need to be dilated?Could this be a urinary tract infection?
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possibly infection..needs to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

As per the description of your symptoms, its more pointing towards infection. Because stricture urethra may have symptoms of decreased urinary stream, straning at urination and there will be bladder outlet obstruction also.

So from the clinical symptoms , I can conclude it may be infection. Any ways its better to rule out the exact problem which is causing.

Please consult a urologist If your problem is not corrected by a course of antibiotics .

In my clinic I usually treat my patients like this with empirical antibiotic therapay with combination of cefixime200+ ofloxocin 200 twice daily for a week , Urinaray alkanizer like citralka syrup 20 ml thrice a day and plenty of oral fluids. If it will not subside I will refer to a urologist.

regards,
DR.VENKAT M.D
Follow up: Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 14 minutes later
The bleeding is getting thicker. Could this be a bladder infection? Should I refrain from sex with my wife? Is this a symptom of cancer? I feel the urge to urinate almost constantly, is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes you should avoid intercourse

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

Passage of blood evrytime during urination is surely alarming sign. Its no matter Whether its a infection or a stricture problem, I suggest you to consult your urologist ASAP.

Feel of urgency and increased frequency of urination is a common feature if there is infection

Complete urine examination and Ultrasound of abdomen gives every information about your problem.

regards,
DR.VENKAT M.D