• question-icon

What causes burning sensation during urination after treatment with Nitrofurantoin?

Posted on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I just finish treatment with nitrofurantoin but still feeling burn sensation after peeing. I am a woman.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
inadequate treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

If you are persisting to have symptoms of urinary tract infection especially urgency and frequent voiding of urine then it is possible that the infection is still persisting

Here is how you should go about it

1. Get a urine routine test done to see for persisting pus cells
2. send for urine culture to see which organism is growing and to which drug it is sensitive to
3. Continue to take Nitrofurantoin

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 21 hours later
Like I said I just feel a burn sensation but no urgency of frequency. I just finished an entire treatment with nitro. Do you think this has something to do with the uretra being sensitive? Why should I keep taking nitro? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hello

The fact that you have burning sensation could mean that there is some amount of residual infection. Burning micturation is synonymous with urinary tract infection. Sensitive urethra often causes pain and not just burning.
I suggested you to keep taking Nitrofuratoin as you are still symptomatic.

I recommend a urine alkalinizer like syrup citraalks 2 tsp morning, afternoon and night for symptomatic relief.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist