Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes burning sensation during urination after kidney stone removal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hello doctor,
I have gone through ureteroscopy surgery to remove 18mm kidney stone in right upper ureter , after the passage of kidney stone I have new problem which I cannot understand at all.
My symptoms initially was right testicle discomfort after ejaculation and burning sensation in urine and semen.
After few months I got relief from my testicle discomfort but urine stream got very week.
Now I have very week urine stream with burning sensation while passing urine and pain after ejaculation or semen release.
Now my symptoms are :
1) burning sensation while urinating if urine is not white.
2) I have to push myself to pass urine because the stream seams to be less than 3 mm
3) I can't empty by bladder fully
4) pain after semen release or ejaculation
5) I go frequently to pass urine ( every 45mins)

I have taken ciflox 500mg for more than 20 days as prescribed by my urologist but no change in symptoms.
Also test like PSA , urine , ct scan , blood tests , sonography and kub xray is cleared , no stones present in right kidney or ureter except 6mm in left kidney which I have from last so many years.
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have developed Stricture of Urethra.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have undergone endoscopic removal of stone in your Rt ureter following which you have developed obstructive urinary symptoms and painful ejaculation.

All the symptoms that you have narrated are mostly due to narrowing of urethral passage (Stricture Urethra) secondary to trivial injury to urethra from instrumentation (Endoscopes).

Please get your radiological test called as Retrograde Urethro Cystogram done to confirm the diagnosis.

If turns out to be positive you will need to undergo either endoscopic surgery of either Visual Internal Urethrotomy(VIU) or Open Urothroplasty depending upon the extent and tightness of stricture.

Please visit your Urologist for opinion and discuss the possibility of having Stricture of the Urethra and for further treatment.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation during urination after kidney stone removal? 10 hours later
I have attached my RGU study report ,

can you let me know after seeing this report that what has happened?

If it is urethral stricture , can't be cure with medecine or ayurvedic treatment .
because I heard surgery gives only 25% success and recurrence chance is more.
and I don't want to do urethroplasty which gives 80% above success .
Also can you suggest me some good urologist in XXXXXXX who can treat me well.
Please advice me whether ayurvedic or homeopathic treatment is suitable or not.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have short flimsy stricture of Bulbar Urethra.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for uploading RGU films.
It reveals short flimsy stricture of Bulbar Urethra.There is no medicine neither Ayurvedic or Homoeopathic that can cure stricture Urethra.

The results of endoscopic procedure in such case are encouraging and chances of recurrence are not that high as presumed by you.

You can consult Urologist DR XXXXXXX Bhave .He has his hospital near XXXXXXX Bag in XXXXXXX

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation during urination after kidney stone removal? 4 hours later
Thanks dr. for all your suggestion and solutions.

i need to ask you that what kind of endoscopy i should go through it ( like laser or knife )

also send me address and contact details of dr. XXXXXXX bhave

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It it called Optical Internal Urethrotomy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It is an endoscopic procedure where stricture is incised with cold knife .There is neither bleeding nor wound .You will need to get hospitalised for 24-36 hours.

You can call him on his XXXXXXX and fix up the appointment for consultation.

Dr XXXXXXX Bhave ----0000.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes burning sensation during urination after kidney stone removal? 12 hours later
Hello dr.
Thanks for your answer.
which is more good and reliable ?
laser or cold knife.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Laser is used in hard and extensive stricture.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up

Laser is used for hard extensive strictures.

Please note that it makes no difference whether you incise stricture with Laser or Cold Knife both are equally effective.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.