What causes burning sensation around the penis after taking Depo Provera?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Male 33. Ocd. Taking depo provera 150ml weekly to reduce arousal. Is depo provera released in urine? Urine is clear. I feel burning sensation around penis region internally if tense or aroused. Why is that?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Provera is not known to have burning urination

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for query .

You have been taking Provera Depot injection mostly for unwarranted sexual arousal or increased sex drive.

Though it is excreted in urine it will not cause burning sensation in penis ,The burning on arousal that you have is due to increased blood flow to erectile tissue and is a common physiological process due to congestion of Erectile Tissue .

Take pain killer medication like Brufen twice daily prior to taking Provera.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 35 minutes later
Thanks. So, the congestion of the erectile tissue is due to depo provera? you mean to say it is because seminal cords have become constricted? I am ocd so thats why i was doubting that the semen may be causing the burning. Could you please confirm it is not the semen. I also take androcur 200mg daily since 1 year but started depo provera since 1 month.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Semen in urethra will not cause pain in penis

Detailed Answer:

Hello
Thanks for follow up .

The semen in urethra usually gets washed away with urination .It is the congestion of Erectile Tissue that is the reason for pain in penis .

You can get this confirmed by doing microscopic examination of drop of a discharge from the penis .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 12 minutes later
Why I get the burning after using depo provera? I m sure there is no semen as I take androcur which stops semen production and arousal was not intense.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The cause for pain after taking provera can not be ascertained

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank for follow up .

Many clinical trials have been carried out but there is no mention of pain in penis due to Provera .

Thanks and Regards.
dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 17 minutes later
The first 2 times I used depo provera I never had any issue but the third time the pain is in and around the testicles area too. Is it due to stress?

have the clinical trials been done on men as a way of chemical castration?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not having a pain for two times suggests that it is not due to Provera

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .

Not having a pain for two times suggests that it may not be related to Provera .It may be mostly due to anxiety .

There are very few trials on the use of Provera in men for chemical castration

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Thanks. So I don't need to worry and it's nothing to do with any fluids but just stress, fear and anxiety?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is due to anxiety .

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .There is nothing to be worried about .It is anxiety that is bothering you .
Thanks and Regards
Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy