What causes burning sensation around right eye?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hello I am a 28 year old female and am being treated for anxiety I have been having a burning sensation around my right eye it's not really a headache but I have also been experiencing a tingling felling in my left arm I have had blood work done and all came back normal as well as a n/c ct scan which also came back normal should I be worried about a brain tumor ?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needn't worry...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that you are concerned about your symptoms and worried whether they could be indicative of a brain tumour.

Now, firstly, the symptoms that you have described are non-specific symptoms and are not characteristic of a brain pathology. Secondly, since all medical tests, including a CT scan of the brain, are normal, there is no reason to be worried at all.

It is important to understand that anxiety can present with not only psychological symptoms but also with physical or somatic symptoms. Burning / tingling sensations, etc. are symptoms that are commonly seen in anxiety disorders. Now, this does NOT mean that 'everything is in your head' and that you are simply imagining the symptoms. Not at all. It has been found that anxiety disorders are associated with certain neuro-chemical imbalance in the brain and this can cause the person's pain and sensory threshold to get lowered and he / she can become 'hypersensitive' to sensory stimuli, and therefore have tingling, burning, etc. The underlying anxiety also causes a person to become more worried as to why his / her symptoms are "undiagnosed" despite multiple tests, and then this worry / anxiety itself then starts worsening the symptoms more. Soon this becomes a viscious cycle, leaving the person with more symptoms and suffering.

I would suggest that it would be worthwhile to consult a psychiatrist for a detailed psychological assessment. If your symptoms are predominantly anxiety-related, then there are effective treatment options - in the form of medication or counselling / psychotherapy which will help you overcome your problems.There are also several psychological techniques and relaxation therapies, for example, progressive muscle relaxation, applied relaxation, biofeedback, etc. which can yield effective and long-lasting results. Additionally, you can also try simple relaxation techniques like deep breathing, yoga, etc. which can be quite helpful. Regular physical exercise helps in relieving both the physical as well as psychological symptoms of anxiety and also helps you stay more functional.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad