What causes burning sensation around healing wound?

Dr. Gaurav Katiyar

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a 53 year old woman, 5'4", generally healthy and reasonably active. About a week ago I fell and deeply bruised the side of my thigh and the inside of my arm. They are still deep purple but are starting to heal (I can tell by the itching) - my thigh, however, is also burning. Is that normal? It doesn't burn all the time but just sometimes.
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually Normal

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query.
Burning sensation around healing wound is usually normal. But it should be distinguished from actual increase in temperature. Because increase in temperature may be due to underlying infection.
Other cause of burning is due to trauma at the back resulting in mild compression of nerve, and it can corrected by some physiotherapy.

I need more information to help you out better like:
Is burning sensation is around the wound or whole of thigh or on both thighs?
Is burning sensation started soon after slipping or when your wound starts to heal?
Is there any previous history of same thing, diabetes, hypertension or pain in lower back?

Get back to me with reply to help you.

Wish you good health
Dr. G. Katiyar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T