What causes burning sensation and pain in nerve of hand?

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Sir good evening

my mother is having burning feeling besides pain in the nerve of left hand wrist. Exactly hehind thumb of left hand and at wrist. The nerve moves with pain on movement of thumb. What might be the cause and treatment. I have got her treated from bone specialists. Once one injection was given in the wrist. It was all temporary. Further i would like to tell you that she has fallen down many a times giving full weight of the body on left hand. Sir good evening

my mother is having burning feeling besides pain in the nerve of left hand wrist. Exactly hehind thumb of left hand and at wrist. The nerve moves with pain on movement of thumb. What might be the cause and treatment. I have got her treated from bone specialists. Once one injection was given in the wrist. It was all temporary. Further i would like to tell you that she has fallen down many a times giving full weight of the body on left hand.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
possibility of De Quervain's tenosynovitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I have studied your case,
As per your history there is possibility of De Quervain's tenosynovitis.
Physiotherapy like USG and TENS will help in relieving symptoms.
Avoid twisting activity of wrist.
Till time continue your medication.
If not relieved local steroid injection will help, you can take that after consulting your treating doctor, and I think which you have already taken.
Last aspect remains surgical release as long term cure.

Another probability of carpal tunnel can be considered in which there is swelling over wrist .There is nerve compression near wrist which leads to pain on movement.
Due to repeated fall on wrist there can be injury to bone leading to arthritis in later stages.
X ray will help to confirm diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 6 minutes later
X ray of wrist was taken. Nothing was told about x-ray outcome. What actually De Quervain's tenosynovitis is?
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

De Quervain's tenosynovitis is inflammation and swelling of extensor tendon of thumb and wrist leading to swelling and pain.

Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 10 hours later
What is carpal tunnel
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

In carpal tunnel there is edema over tendon at wrist below flexor retinaculum.
Due to increased pressure there is compression of median nerve leading to pain and tingling sensation.

Dr Vaibhav