What causes burning sensation and blood discharge in the anus during bowel movements?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: I have been having problems defecating. There is a burning sensation as well as a small amount of blood on the toilet paper and in the toilet.
Answered by Dr. Eni 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably hemorrhoids

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
I have read your enquiry and I understand your concern.
The most common cause of your problem is hemorrhoids. They are venous pockets full of blood that come out from increased abdominal pressure and other venous conditions. They are often associated with constipation, and they exacerbate each other. Being constipated, you need to put more pressure on your abdomen while defecating and thus increase hemorroids. Also, since hemorrhoids are associated with pain while defecating, your body wants to protect itself as e reflex from the pain, and thus keeps your feces inside and hardening them.
This is why the first line of treatment is to use stool softeners, add a lot of water to your diet and a lot of fibers. Vegetables and fruits are welcome.
You will need to be careful of stress, physical activity, weight lifting, avoid spicy foods, treat any stomach ulcer or gastritis, and you will need to walk a lot. This helps.
The diagnosis is confirmed with anal examination and digital rectal exam if the hemorrhoids are inside your rectum.
This is a very common condition, and a lot of people are used to living with it. Having the appropriate treatment, you will get better pretty soon.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T