• question-icon

What causes burning sensation and bladder pain during urination?

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hello,
I had burning and bladder pain.with urination and frequent urge to urinate-especially if up and walking around. I was diagnosed with a UTI and prescribed nitrofurantoin which I took for one week while awaiting lab results. I also had vaginal burning and a slight discharge so I was given the one pill cure for yeast infections. The dr. didn't do a visual exam or a vaginal swab,just a urine culture. She did find blood in my urine.Pain and burning ceased with but the urge was unaffected. When the lab results came back, I was switched to Bactrim. I have been taking this for 6 days now and it seems like the urge to urinate is actually worse. Even the burning resumed a bit. As long as I am sitting down I have no but a few minutes after standing and walking about, there is strong feeling that I need to urinate. I can ignore it and hold my urine for awhile without incontinence. 8 out 10 trips to the bathroom, I release a fair to good amount of urine,rarely do I have just a few drops. It does feel as if my bladder isn't emptying well. I don't wake in the night to urinate. I have had a hysterectomy and am wondering if I have a cystocele. Would it produce the feeling of a full urethra or is it still a UTI?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rule out cystocele and kidney/ureteric stones

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

The most common symptoms of Urinary tract infection is burning pain, increased frequency and incontinence. The symptom of feeling of full bladder cannot be attributed to UTI alone. Cystocele defenitely need to be ruled out.

Vaginal/pelvic examination is required to confirm/Rule out cystocele.
Cystocele is the bulging of bladder through the anterior vaginal wall occurring due to laxity of pelvic floor muscles and ligaments.
Loss of normal anatomical position of bladder can cause incomplete urine flow, urinary retention and frequent urinary tract infection.

Please be advised to follow up with your gynecologist to undergo a pelvic/vaginal examination.

Moreover, with the presence of blood in urine I would recommend undergoing Xray/CT scan of kidney,ureter and bladder and urine crystal analysis to look for presence of kidney/ureteric stones. UTI alone can cause blood cells in urine.But since you are complaining of persistent symptoms, it is important to rule out possibility of stones contributing to the symptoms.

You can continue Bactrim as prescribed and drink plenty of fluids to help flush out the bacteria

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal