What causes burning plastic smelling urination after drinking beer?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Sat, 3 Jan 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: When drinking beer,my urine smells something like burning plastic(nearest smell I can relate) and then
after a day or two it smells normal, It stays normal as long as I don't drink beer. I've been drinking almost 60 years and this just started. Is something inside going bad?I do tend to binge drink.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
We need to prevent liver damage

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are concerned that while drinking alcohol in the form of beer you have noticed a change in the smell of the urine. Since you have been drinking for over 60 years there is a chance that you are experiencing liver damage and the smell is the by products of the alcohol metabolism.

I recommend that you stop drinking alcohol and see our medical provider. Please have him/her run liver testing and urine analysis and complete blood counts.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again with your health care questions and concerns
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj