• question-icon

What causes burning pain in the left foot?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I am having prickling burning pain on the top and side of my left foot every 30 seconds. I went to the emergency room at the hospital today for a test for a blood clot, and the test showed no blood clot. The doctor there said he thought the pain might be due to insufficient venous circulation in the extremities (which I have had for about 8 years.) I am wondering if it might be due to nerve damage. If so, what would you suggest? XXXXXXX Whitmer
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be from either blood supply or nerves

Detailed Answer:
Prickling, burning pain is usually from irritation or damage to the nerves. This can come from either direct nerve damage or from the blood supply to the nerve. If you already know that you have venous insufficiency then that is the most likely cause.
If you see a neurologist, they could do nerve conduction studies and that may also help you sort out the cause.
Nerve damage is treated by trying to decrease the pain and slow the progression of the disease.
There are medicines for this, but you need to know the primary cause first. If it is from nerve damage directly then it could be from a wide range of causes such as alcohol, diabetes, vitamin B12 deficiency. You really need a neurologist to find the diagnosis.
If it is from the venous insufficiency then exercise, compression stockings and possibly even surgery may help.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson