• question-icon

What causes burning pain in the incision site after collarbone surgery?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi I had surgery on collarbone 4 months ago. Then 4 weeks ago had the plate removed as it was moving. Since then I have had burning pain in area of fracture. Have been prescribed gabapentin which seems to work a bit. Has surgean cut through a nerve or muscle and if so how long does something like this take to heal?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin b12 difficiency

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but it is common to get this burning sensation after surgical procedures due to regain of nerve sensation gradually after the procedure. This makes the nerves very sensitive to any stimulation leading to the burning sensation . The thing with you is that it took so long as this burning sensation should stop on average after a couple of weeks . This could be due to vitamin b12 difficiency. so I would recommend that you take daily supplements of vitamin b 12 together with gabapentin to help this burning sensation resolve faster. I hope I answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 24 minutes later
thank you. Is that because a nerve has been cut or a muscle that creates the burning pain. The pain is not there unless I move my arm leading me to think its a muscle.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cutting of tiny nerve endings

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, yes it is due to tiny nerve endings cutting . As any surgical procedure causes cutting of the tiny nerve endings passing through skin but of course sparses the main nerve supply of the area. regeneration od these tiny nerve endings causes this burning sensation.
it is unlikely to be caused by muscles as the area around the collar bone does not containing of the muscle bulk . I hope you find this helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman