What causes burning pain in left collar bone post catheter insertion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Sir, I received a plasma exchange with the catheter inserted in the right side of my chest. This caused a burning pain in my left collar bone area that radiates into my left arm and hand. What is this and how can it be managed? I have suffered with this pain ever since the procedure was completed. It feel like the catheter is still in my chest.
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nerve injury likely.

Detailed Answer:
The burning pain in the left collar bone area that radiates into left arm and hand is likely to be due to a mild nerve irritation or injury during the catheter insertion.
This can also be due to following reasons-
-Prolapse of disc in cervical spine.
-Cervical stenosis or narrowing of holes from where nerves exit.
-Cervical spondylsis.
-Stress.
-Deficiency of vitamin B12.
To help these symptoms avoid bending your neck at abnormal position for long time, like on computer. Do warm water fomentation with help of water bag over your neck.
Take a good analgesic like combination of tramadol with paracetamol.
Test for levels of vitamin B12, If low do take Vitamin B12 supplements.
This is likely to heal on its own in few weeks. In case the pain increases or is persistent then do consult your physician for further investigations.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal