What causes burning itching sensation on penis

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,

I have a burning/ itching sensation in a small quarter sized area of skin above my penis about an inch and near my right leg. What would cause this? It only began a day or so ago. I have not been sexually active in over a year and when I was I used protection.

I also notice when I take a bath that the area of my feet and legs that my socks cover tends to itch/burn very slightly in hot water. Is this because of a fungus?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query.

Fungal infections are very common in this area.If you have developed an itchy rash ,most likely the cause is a fungal infection.In this case I would recommend to use a topical antifungal cream like Clotrimazole or Miconazole twice a day for 2 weeks.
If there is no rash ,just a burning sensation ,the cause might also be skin irritation due to friction.I would recommend to keep the area clean and dry.Wear loose ,cotton underwear.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you have any question.I would be happy to help.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati