What causes burning itch on the forearm?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I woke up this morning with an itchy pain in my right forearm near the crook of the elbow. I can also see the veins running up the inside of my forearm very prominently, whereas on my left arm, not so much. I thought maybe something bit me during the night (I slept in our guest room to avoid getting my husbands cold); it’s a dull pain/discomfort and a slight itch, but no visible rash or bite. Both hands are a bit mottled. I took a Benadryl about 30 minutes ago...no changes.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Veins and Arteries

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treat symptomatically. Keep a watch

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
I suggest you to take symptomatic treatment i.e an oral antihistamine, e.g either Cetrizine 10mg or Loratadine10mg once daily.
Topically you may use a soothing lotion e.g Calamine lotion over the affected area.
Keep a watch if you develop any rash, in particular shingles, as it can be preceded by a prodrome.