What causes burning in vagina and frequent urination?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor, My girlfriend had her periods on 12th of march and it was just for one day. She had taken the ipill the previous month coz of an emergency. in the side effects of ipill, it states that irregular periods could happen. Me and my girlfriend had unprotected sex on 18th March morning. She took the ipill that very evening. After a day or two of that she complained of burning sensation in her vagina and the feeling that she needs to go pee quite often. When she went to the bathroom, very little urine used to come and had lower abdominal pain as well. I researched on the net and asked a friend of mine as well which we confirmed as Urinary Tract Infection as the symptoms were matching and it is common in women. I read through sources, it could be caused by frequent sex in a couple of days(Which could be the case). So I gave her 4 tablets of Norflox(to take twice a day), which my friend knew about as she had experienced UTI earlier. Along with Norflox, She took a ayurvedic syrup called Neeri, which was recommended to me by the chemist. 2 days of taking the tablets, the pain subsided and today the pain was almost nil and burning sensation only when she urines. But today evening she started bleeding from her vagina, and she says its like a normal chums which she gets. The flow is a little lesser than normal chums. She feels nausea and slight feeling of vomiting. Should I be worried about pregnancy? or could it be just a side effect of the pill and norflox. Also what can she take immediately to stop the symptoms if at all it can be stopped.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: SIDE EFFECT OF THE I PILL, NO RISK OF PREGNANCY Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Firstly, what she is experiencing is most probably the side effect of the I pill. The I pill commonly causes what is known as withdrawal bleeding, this is typically lighter than the normal periods and this is what she is experiencing. Nausea and vomiting are also common side effects of the I pill and the antibiotics. So dont worry about pregnancy. That said, if I may, I would like to point out a few things to you - 1. It is NOT recommended to take the I pill so frequently and casually. It will mess up her normal period cycle and lose its efficacy when taken instead of reliable birth control / condoms. 2. Taking OTC ( over the counter ) treatment for a urinary tract infection is also XXXXXXX The symptoms might temporarily subside, but lingering / vigorous or persistent infections can occur if proper steps are not taken. Ideally a urine test should be done - including routine microscopy and urine culture, which will identify the particular organism responsible for the infection, and the culture will tell you to which antibiotic it will respond. Please make sure this is done the next time. 3. The symptoms cannot be stopped, they are inevitable side effects of the I pill and will pass in 2 -3 days. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 minutes later
Thank You Dr. XXXXXXX This is very helpful. She is experiencing extreme nausea .is there any medicine she can take to feel better? also will this have a long term side effect? when will she get my normal periods?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: CANDIED GINGER IS BEST. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the appreciation. She can take candied ginger , it is best to relieve nausea. ALso, if it does not respond to candied ginger, then go for Tab. Ondem , it will help. Also, lemonade with mint and tulsi leaves will help. There wont be any long term side effects if this practice is stopped in future. There is no way to predict when she will get her normal periods. They can be preponed or postponed by any number of days. Take care.