What causes burning in the urethral opening after urination?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: After I urinate my urethra burns or has a slight discomfort close to opening. It can last up to hours at a time and at times feels like I have to pee but when I do, hardly anything comes out. It doesn't really burn when I pee though. The opening isn't red or puffy either. I don't have this burning or discomfort when I wake up either. The longer the day goes on and the more I pee the worse it gets. I have no discharge either. I tried looking inside my urethra the best I can and see no sores or lesions. (I was thinking HPV or Herpes but see neither.)

Anything insight on what this might be? I am ruling out a UTI already as I don't have a lot of the symptoms common for it.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 days later
Brief Answer:
Possible UTI or common genital infection (fungal).

Detailed Answer:

Your symptoms are indicative for UTI. Please bare in mind that UTI does not necessary need to have a lot of symptoms, especially, when it comes to men (they rarely have symptoms).

I advise to run urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound for further evaluation. You should:
- drink more water (to dilute your urine and make it less acidic)
- take tea for UTI problems
- avoid too much salt or fried/oily foods or other foods/drinks that would make urine turn acidic
- if you are not circumcised, discuss with urologist to exclude phymosis and related problems.

To think over HPV or herpes, I'd like to know if you are also having:
- any lesion locally?
- any discharge from penis?
- any other symptom (skin problems or fever or generally feeling unwell)?

I suspect more an UTI and common genital infection (fungus) than other diagnosis. The lab tests would determine it!

Dr.Albana

Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Ok what you say makes sense. Thanks for the prompt response.

As to answer your questions.

No visual warts, blisters, sores of any kind. The tip where the discomfort is, is not red or swollen. Nothing at the opening where the pee exits the body. I've opened it some and see nothing either. No discharge that I can tell of and I've looked a lot. No other symptoms, I feel fine. No rash or skin issues.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
UTI with genital affection...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Ok then, most probably UTI with genital affection. Go ahead and run urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound for further evaluation as you might need a course of oral antibiotics.

Try to avoid sexual intercourse these days until improvement.

All the best!
Dr.Albana