Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

What causes burning in the urethral opening after urination?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4852 Questions
After I urinate my urethra burns or has a slight discomfort close to opening. It can last up to hours at a time and at times feels like I have to pee but when I do, hardly anything comes out. It doesn't really burn when I pee though. The opening isn't red or puffy either. I don't have this burning or discomfort when I wake up either. The longer the day goes on and the more I pee the worse it gets. I have no discharge either. I tried looking inside my urethra the best I can and see no sores or lesions. (I was thinking HPV or Herpes but see neither.)

Anything insight on what this might be? I am ruling out a UTI already as I don't have a lot of the symptoms common for it.
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 4 days later
Brief Answer:
Possible UTI or common genital infection (fungal).

Detailed Answer:

Your symptoms are indicative for UTI. Please bare in mind that UTI does not necessary need to have a lot of symptoms, especially, when it comes to men (they rarely have symptoms).

I advise to run urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound for further evaluation. You should:
- drink more water (to dilute your urine and make it less acidic)
- take tea for UTI problems
- avoid too much salt or fried/oily foods or other foods/drinks that would make urine turn acidic
- if you are not circumcised, discuss with urologist to exclude phymosis and related problems.

To think over HPV or herpes, I'd like to know if you are also having:
- any lesion locally?
- any discharge from penis?
- any other symptom (skin problems or fever or generally feeling unwell)?

I suspect more an UTI and common genital infection (fungus) than other diagnosis. The lab tests would determine it!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes burning in the urethral opening after urination? 1 hour later
Ok what you say makes sense. Thanks for the prompt response.

As to answer your questions.

No visual warts, blisters, sores of any kind. The tip where the discomfort is, is not red or swollen. Nothing at the opening where the pee exits the body. I've opened it some and see nothing either. No discharge that I can tell of and I've looked a lot. No other symptoms, I feel fine. No rash or skin issues.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
UTI with genital affection...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Ok then, most probably UTI with genital affection. Go ahead and run urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound for further evaluation as you might need a course of oral antibiotics.

Try to avoid sexual intercourse these days until improvement.

All the best!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor