What causes burning feet and sweating?
Sounds like a neuropathy
Hi, XXXXXXX thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Your problem indeed sounds nerve related. Burning pain in the feet is often due to a neuropathy, an abnormality in the nerves. Neuropathy is often associated with diabetes, but there are many other causes of neuropathy. Some types may be inherited. The sweating, burning, and redness suggest an abnormality perhaps in the nerves locally that also control the opening and closing of small blood vessels. It's possible that pressure from shoes irritates the nerves and that is why it mainly occurs then.
A neurologist would be the person to see. They are familiar with the various types of neuropathy, and would be the best specialist to figure out the cause. You should know, however, that often the cause is never determined. If a specific cause is found, that is helpful because treatment could be directed to the underlying problem.
Since your symptoms have been going on for 25 years, and you have not mentioned diabetes or another illness, I suspect it's one of the "idiopathic" types, which means you just have it and no one can determine the cause. You still however should get checked and be sure. As you said, it does not appear to be an allergic reaction.
You don't mention what if you've been treated with prescription medicine such as Neurontin or amitriptyline. There are also some newer medicines for neuropathy that may be helpful. A neurologist would be familiar with specific treatments.
So I think your best option is to consult a neurologist, get this diagnosed, and see if there are other treatments that might help. Hope this answers your query. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for depression
- What causes dizziness and tingling on finger tips?
- Is it safe to consume alcohol despite heart attack and heart damage?
- What causes two small red spots on soft palate area?
- What is the correlation between atrial fibrillation and ear flutter in...
- What causes abdominal pain in lower left quadrant area?
- What causes slow growth of hair on body?
- Suggest treatment for anxiety and depression
- Suggest ways to reduce body fat
- Can using lifts reduce ones height?