What causes burning feeling in penis, anus and scrotum?

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Apr 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My penis started burning about a week ago now has moved down between my anus and scrotum. Yesterday had a little rash on inner thighs. I also have oval shaped red patches just above my pelvic region. worst symptom right now is burning/pressure feeling between scrotum and anus. seems better when I stand up worse when sitting. worried about an std because of an indiscretion a few weeks ago but have a history of jock itch and have neuropathy in my feet. No flu like symptoms or fever and no visible sores or rash on penis or scrotum. I used an antifungal cream on my thighs yesterday and it seems better today
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
History and Pictures requested

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting on HCM.
I can understand your concern regarding the skin lesions but its difficult to point specific diagnosis in absence of clinical examination.
From your description, it seems like most probably you are having a fungal skin infection called Tinea or it can be intertrigo, which is an infection which occurs over any opposing skin surfaces , mostly seen over groin folds. Its caused due to bacterial or sometimes fungal infection.
I can understand its difficult for you to provide clinical pictures considering the sites affected but I would be glad if you can manage some good quality pictures so that I can help you in a better way.
You can either post pictures directly on the page or can mail pictures to YYYY@YYYY
with subject titled ' ATTN Dr Hardik Pitroda'.

Apart from the pictures, a few details in history would be helpful:
1. History of similar condition in any of your family members
2. History of similar condition in past
3.Your job profile and occupation especially history of long distance traveling on frequent basis.
4. Any co-morbid conditions like Diabetes

Thanks
Dr Hardik Pitroda

Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 27 minutes later
I do have diabetes. No family history that I know of. nor sure how to do pictures but it looks normal just burns.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Oral Valacyclovir

Detailed Answer:
Well, considering your history of burning sensation with no visible lesions, I would like to treat you provisionally for Herpes Zoster. Its a kind of viral skin infection producing painful rash and blisters along particular nerve trunk distribution. People having diabetes are particularly susceptible due to declining immunity.
Since it could be prodrome of herpes, the lesions are not yet visible.
I would recommend you to consult a dermatologist in person for better management.
In your case, I would recommend following line of treatment:
1. Oral Valacyclovir 1g thrice a day for 7 days
2. Oral gabapentine 300mg thrice a day
3. Oral amitryptiline 25mg at night.
Let me know if you require any more assistance from my side.
Thanks
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 21 minutes later
How long before lesions would be visible if it is herpes? Is herpes zozter sexually transmitted? The burning has lasted 4 days might be lessening today. I have been using clomitrazole cream.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Herpes zoster is not a STD

Detailed Answer:
The lesions of herpes usually appear few days after the prodrome. Sometimes, the episode of herpes is abortive and it just produces symptoms of burning pain without any obvious lesions. Herpes Zoster is reactivation of inactive varicella virus which causes chicken pox. Its not a sexually transmitted disease.
Patients of diabetes and similar immunocompromised condition are prone to develop herpes zoster.
I would suggest you to go for the treatment I highlighted before in my answers.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E