What causes burning and itching sensation in the genital area?

Dermatologist
Question
I need to know how to treat a burning/itching sensation in the genital area. I have tried A&D ointment and Desitin which do not help. Along with a non fragrance soap numerous times a day.
Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steroid antifungal cream, lactic acid wash, antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to use a lactic acid wash for the pubic area along with application of a cream containing combination of steroid and antifungal like cortisone cream and clotrimazole cream on the affected areas twice daily for 2 weeks.
Also take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.
This should help in relieving your itching and burning.
Dr Asmeet

Follow-up: What causes burning and itching sensation in the genital area? 18 hours later
Are these medications available over the counter or do I need to ask my doctor for a prescription? Thank you for your reply.

Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should be available as over the counter

Detailed Answer:
These medicines should be available as over the counter.
All the best.