What causes burning and itching sensation in the genital area?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I need to know how to treat a burning/itching sensation in the genital area. I have tried A&D ointment and Desitin which do not help. Along with a non fragrance soap numerous times a day.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steroid antifungal cream, lactic acid wash, antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to use a lactic acid wash for the pubic area along with application of a cream containing combination of steroid and antifungal like cortisone cream and clotrimazole cream on the affected areas twice daily for 2 weeks.
Also take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.
This should help in relieving your itching and burning.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 18 hours later
Are these medications available over the counter or do I need to ask my doctor for a prescription? Thank you for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Should be available as over the counter

Detailed Answer:
These medicines should be available as over the counter.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng