What causes buring on nipples?

General Surgeon
Question
I am a 38 years male, from last 2 days my left nipple is burning & enlarged , I had consult my GP & he told due to hypersensitivity it has happened & prescribed Gabaneuron tablets for 10 days at night. I am not able to wear even shirt , as it is creating discomfort .Please advise , is their any serious issue .
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is due to infection and inflammation of nipple

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for posting in health care magic.

It seems that nipple is enlarged due to infection and associated inflammation in your case.
I prescribe Antibiotic like Clindamycin, Anti inflammatory tablet to my patients with similar complaints. I also add Ointment containing Mupirocin for local application. You can apply Ointment and cover the nipple with dressing so that it won't cause irritation when your shirt touches.

Please consult a General Surgeon to get examined. Nothing to worry.

If you have any queries, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: What causes buring on nipples? 31 minutes later
Sir ,I am quite relaxed with your answer as from last two days i was in stress ,shall I start the antibiotic you mentioned above & for how long .
Thanx once again .

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take the antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You can take the antibiotic.
Usually, I prescribe Antibiotic like Clindamycin capsule 600mg thrice daily. If there is no response, I will swich to another antibiotic like Linezolid 600mg twice daily and Cefuroxime 500mg twice daily.Anti inflammatory tablet should also be added.
Nothing to worry.
It will come down.
Wish you good health and speedy recovery.