What causes bump on upper arm along with bruise post injury?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was hit playing bball on my upper arm. I thought it was a bad bruise but it never swelled up. 1 week later there was a firm bump on that spot on the bone. ?
Does this require an immediate x ray or should i wait to see what happens. It is not in much pain. It hurt a lot for 48 hours after i was hit
Answered by Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems like Hematoma

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concern very well.

According to the information provided by you, it seems like hematoma (collection of blood outside blood vessels) and it will subside by itself within 15 -20 days. If you can upload a photograph of the affected area, then it will be more helpful for me to comment. In most case of hematoma, medical treatment is not required, but if you feel more pain or redness or swelling, then you can take anti inflammatory drugs like acetaminophen to relieve pain and inflammation.

Since you are not in pain now, I don't see any immediate concern or need for X-ray.

I look forwards to your reply and pictures of the affected area. There is a feature to upload reports and pictures provided on the right side of this page.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 6 hours later
Thanks for the reply.
Its that little bump on the second photo. No real redness and hard to notice unless you touch it. Is it fine to stay active? -i have been playing tennis and working out.
Answered by Dr. Jignesh Gorasia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry, seems fine on naked eye.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for uploading the photographs.

It is very difficult to find any lump on naked eyes and everything seems normal as per my observation. But as you are telling that it feels hard, so there might be small hematoma.

As there is no real pain and redness, you need not to worry and don't require anything. I would suggest you to rest your arm for 1 week or so, apply ice packs over it for 4 to 6 times a day, compress it with elastic bandage if required and elevate your arm above heart level. So i would suggest you not to play tennis or work out for at least one week.

Hope this answers your question and feel free to ask any of your follow up questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Jignesh Gorasia