What causes bump on penis shaft?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi - I have a question regarding a possible std. Sexually active make and discovered an odd mole looking type bump recently on shaft of penis, along with a reddish area. I have pictures if needed. Obviously herpes came to mind. No blisters, no burning, no open sores. Still want to verify.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HPV

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You are concerned about finding a bump on your penis recently. The image does help in my diagnosis. This bump looks like you have the human papillomavirus (HPV) or venereal warts. These are very common and are sexually transmitted. There is a treatment you can get from your doctor that allows you to treat the warts at home. I would recommend getting treatment and I would recommend using condoms in the future to prevent further spread to your partner.

In summary
1. HPV or human papillomavirus
2. Treat at home with medication called podophyllin
3. Prevent spread with condoms

I hope I answered your question. Please contact me again with your health care questions and concerns
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 35 minutes later
Hi Dr.
Thank you for the quick response. I appreciate the information and recommendation. Does the reddish area on the fireskin area look concerning? It appeared yesterday after walking for a long period of time. Any thoughts? I can upload additional pictures.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not concerning

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for returning to HCM

The area of redness appears to be irritation and should resolve on its own. I would not be concerned about that area. It the area still persists then I recommend using a little hydrocortisone cream once daily to the area to keep the redness down.

Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 2 days later
Hi - based on this discussion, I'm now concerned about spots on my tongue. I have always been told I have "geographic tongue", nothing on my tongue has recently appeared, and it does change colors (design) often. I uploaded pictures. Wanted opinion of possible oral HPV, if so, treatments? Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Geographic tongue no HPV of the tongue

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for returning to HCM

Thanks also for the uploaded pictures. The tongue actually looks normal. The different colors is classic for geographic tongue. I also notice a few taste buds that are more prominent. These maybe confused with HPV but they are not. This is very common to have some taste buds that are prominent and look like warts. But I can assure you they are normal and you are not infected with HPV on your tongue.

In summary
1. Positive for Geographic tongue
2. Prominent taste buds
3. Negative for HPV

I hope I answered your question. Please contact me again with any of your medical concerns or questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 16 days later
Hi - new circumstances:
I had protected intercourse with someone who afterwards informed me she was positive for HVS1. I am now very concerned about the dots/marks that appear right above my circumcision scar. This uncounted was approximately 7 days ago, I am awaiting IGG results. This are of my penis has been tender for a 4 days now. Concerned about HSV1 genitally. I uploaded photos. Can you offer your opinion please. Thank You.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
The pictures you down loaded still do not look like herpes infection. It looks more like a dermatitis of irritation to the skin. You could possibly have an allergy to latex or to a spermicide which is in a condom. I would recommend you use a topical cream like hydrocortisone once daily for the next week and see if that reduces the irritation.

Again this does not look like HSV
Dr. Ronald Schubert