What causes bump on back of upper leg?
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic
I would keep a possibility of a furuncle. Furuncle is bacterial infection of the skin. The infection gaining entry through the hair follicle.
The best way to approach is to start on an empirical oral antibiotic for a week OR 10 days.
My choice of oral antibiotic would have been Amoxycillin 500mg+Clavulanic acid 125 mg, thrice daily, for a week
Cephalexin 500 mg thrice daily for a week
Cefadroxil 500mg twice daily, for a week. This would take care of the infection.
An OTC antibacterial cream/ointment e.g 2% Mupirocin ointment OR Neosporin ointment can be applied twice daily.
Thanks for the additional information.
It is most likely a sebaceous cyst. The cyst unless completely removed along with the cyst wall will keep recurring again and again.
The pus like thick cheesy contents that empty now and then are actually secretions that get accumulated from the glands lining the wall of the cyst.
It might get secondarily infected and may become swollen and painful, that is when you need these antibiotics. However, the curative treatment would be to get it removed surgically along with the cyst wall. I would suggest that you seek an appointment either with a surgeon or with a dermatologist, regarding cyst removal surgery.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes rashes on breasts and back of legs
- What causes bumps in the back of tongue
- What causes pain in lower back and legs
- What causes severe pain in the upper back shoulders
- What causes upper back pain
- What causes severe pain at back and legs
- What causes middle back pain and numbness in leg
- Pain in leg and upper back cause
- What causes severe back pain that radiates to the leg
- What causes itching on upper back