What causes bulge on navel?

Posted on Thu, 24 Dec 2015 in Lump
Question: Hi, I have a small bulge on the top of my belly button, it does not really bother me, could it be a hernia?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible umbilical hernia

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You noticed a bulge on the top of your belly button. If this bulge is new it could be an umbilical hernia. If you press on the bulge and you feel a small hole underneath it then for sure it is a hernia. If it small we do not recommend surgery. If it gets bigger and painful then you may need surgical correction. We do not like doing this particular type of hernia repair because it frequently fails. Then you are worse off than before.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 34 minutes later
It does hurt a little when I press on it I would say it is about 1/2 inch wide. When I sit down it goes away totally.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Minor hernia

Detailed Answer:
At this point if it only 1/2 inch wide and goes away when you sit then I would recommend watching it for a while. the next time you go to your doctor have them check it so they can be aware and be ready if anything comes up.
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 minute later
thank you
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
your welcome

Detailed Answer:
Best wishes to you
Dr. Ronald Schubert