What causes bulge in stomach?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 22 Dec 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I have the bulge in my stomach from my belly button up when I exercise or contract my abdominal/stomach muscles. I have been working out for about 3 months/30 minutes a day and have lost about 25 pounds but the bulge seems to be building muscle not going away like I though it would. The work out keeps talking about a nice "V" shape but my ugly bulge seems to be building in that ugly V shape What should I do

I think I should have added a little history. I have had 3 C-sections and about 4 abdominal hernia surgeries with mesh repair from my c sections I also have had a hysterectomy and 2 laparoscopic surgeries through my belly button. I was checked a couple years ago for a possible hernia around my belly button and it was negative. It also sometimes burns in that area Thank you so much for your help I have been trying to loose weight on the 21 DAY FIX program by BeachBody. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably Umbilical Hernia - treatment is surgical

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
This is really commendable that exercises have helped you to lose weight.

The most probable cause of such a bulge you explained looks to be an umbilical / Para-umbilical hernia if it is coming from the umbilical (belly button) area.

I would suggest you the following:
Get a clinical examination done by a General Surgeon / Surgical Gastroenterologist to get a confirmed diagnosis, and an appointment for surgical correction. Please discuss the ways this can be achieved. This can be done by an open approach or laparoscopic too.

Your Surgeon may opt for Ultrasonography or CT scan to confirm the diagnosis.

The other rare reasons are:
Desmoid tumor - arises from the rectus muscle and is not central, is not reducible , hard and stands more on contraction of the abdominal muscles.
The umbilical hernia is reducible, meaning when you lie down it may return back to abdomen or you can reduce it manually on pressure. Increases in size when you contract muscles/ cough / strain.

I hope this answer helps to get a clearer idea, please feel free to ask further if you have further clarification.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 10 hours later
What if it is Diastisi Recti? What can be done about that?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
please get a confirmed diagnosis first.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback- could read the update about surgical history now.

Diastasis Recti: You have a history of 3 pregnancies and multiple surgeries, one of the predisposing factors for Diastasis Recti.
Burning in the area may obviously be due to stretched small nerves.
The treatment will depend upon the degree of diastasis.

If of a mild degree, exercises may help under the guidance of a professional Physiotherapist; if of major degree surgical correction can be planned with help of your operating Surgeon.