question-icon

What causes bruising spots all over arm while treating hypertension and arthritis

Posted on Thu, 21 May 2015
Question: This morning in the shower I noticed many quarter size bruises on the upper arm, inner and back side of arm, on both arms. I'm a 62 year old overweight female with treated hypertension, arthritis, and nothing else problematic that I know of.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Low platelet

Detailed Answer:
you might be having a low platelet count and hence you are developing these bruises.
Get your platelet levels, bleeding and clotting time checked.
There is nothing to worry.
The skin looses its elasticity with ageing and hence spontaneous bruising becomes common.
Usually it takes around 2 weeks for the bruise to heal.
you can use oint thrombophob to get a faster relief.
Let me know if you have any other doubt. If possible also post a clinical image of the lesion so that I can inspect it and confirm it.
Wishing you a good health.
Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist