What causes bruising on the foot after injury?

Dr. Rishi

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello.
5 or 6 days ago I was going to climb a couple of stairs and slipped and hit my shin hard. It's swelled, bruised and painful. The bruise is from mid shin down to my foot. At the spot I hit it is very hard and very light colored about 2 inches in diameter with bruising all around the white or light spot. My sister thinks I should go to the ER because it might be a blood clot. I don't want to be a wimp. Should I go to ER or wait to see a doctor Monday.
Thank you. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rishi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is definitely a blood clot, but you need to rule out a fracture.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic and Thank you for your question.
My query is are you able to walk and bear weight on the injured leg?
If yes, then there should not be anything to worry about.
We only need to rule out a fracture of the tibia bone which can be done with an XRay. You can go to the ER to get it done or can wait till Monday for the same. No emergency.
It is definitely a blood clot/ Hematoma.
You need to apply ice packs to the area, keep it elevated above the heart level, take anti inflammatory medicines like Diclofenac or Paracetamol thrice a day and wrap it up in tight crepe bandages from the foot till the knee. This will get you better soon.
But please get your XRay done whenever you get time.
Take care n do let me know if there are any queries on this issue.
Dr Rishi, New XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D