• question-icon

What causes bruising and swelling in the foot after a fall?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I've been to see my dr., however he did not have a clue what was going on at the time he saw it. So I need an expert opinion, and thought I would contact one of yours.
My problem is that I took a fall back around XXXXXXX 14 did not seem to be a bad fall. However the night after that I noticed a very bad stinging and burning sensation in my lower right foot just below my anklebone. There was a bump that raised up, my foot swelled, and bruised badly. That's seem to be starting to heal on its own. Then a week to 10 days ago, I was looking for something and bent over in advertently a full 2 L bottle dropped on that same exact spot and set it off again. It is now seeming to be very hard to heal and I am wondering what the injury actually came from. If it was from the original fall or something else. The food is still bruised clear down to my toes and it is still swollen. The bump is still there and there seems to be redness around the bump area.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood probably leaked into into the tissue!

Detailed Answer:
HI,

I have reviewed your information fully. This discoloration and swelling is consistent with a leaked blood into soft tissues. This will certainly cause pain, swelling and discoloration and probably so following the injury. Normally, blood cells will clear up the leaked blood and repair tissue damage. In the interim, we need to adequately address your pain. Applying ice, using pain medications and resting the affected leg will be of great help in the healing process.

Because there is leaked blood in the tissues, healing would be a little longer compared to other injuries. Exercise patience and follow up with the recommended measures above.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Keep me posted with your response and feel free to ask for more details and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Thank you.
I will follow your advice and see how I get along. I will follow up with you in a couple of days. Thank

XXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Keep me updated!

Detailed Answer:

Foll
ow through on the recommendations and let me know how you are progressing on this.

I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Chobufo Ditah