What causes bruising and heavy vaginal bleeding during menstruation?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Jan 2016 in Women's Health
Question: At At the ER they performed an EKG, pap smear, urinalysis, pregnancy test, took 4 vials of blood, & 2 ultrasounds. The tech mentioned my ovaries looked healthy. The ER doctor said I had a small cyst about 1 cm on my uterus which he said was rare. I initially went to a clinic but since my bp was elevated 156/92 & i had no history of fainting they sent me to ER. At the clinic they checked my blood sugar also & it was normal.
I don't have the US images or bloodwork results. Just know it was bmp total & hemogram/platelet count all of which I was told was normal.
The bruising I noticed two days after & the lump was not there when I was at the ER. Right now it isn't visible to the eye but only to the the touch. I would say it about the size of a large grape.
As for my period they are pretty much normal. only difference I have noticed more so in the past year is they have become heavier in flow & i pass bigger clots some as big a lemons or small oranges even. My son is 3 year old & I delivered him vaginally pre term at 36 weeks. I had issues with my blood pressure the last month I was pregnant was placed on bed rest with contractions starting at 34 weeks. He didn't have any problems & was not sent to NICU.
Attached are the pictures of the bruising I took two days after my visit to the ER.

Thank you for responding.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to injury or a bleeding disorder.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The bruising in the area can be due to an injury caused by a vigorous sex. The spontaneous appearance of bruise can be due to a bleeding disorder also. This needs to be found out after proper blood tests.
This can be related to the heavy bleeding during the periods if there is a bleeding disorder.
If the bruise is due to an injury and all the blood work is normal then there is no need to worry. It will fade away on its own in two weeks.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL XXXX

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
There was no injury to the area just suddenly appeared two days after in the same area I had the intense burning pain & spasming. Now there is the lump in the same spot as where the bruisng was. My husband & i have been married for 6 years & we had sex 5 days before the bruising appeared. There was nothing different or vigorous about the sex.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to an allergic cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If there is no history of injury and all the blood tests are normal then the bruising can be due to an allergic reaction to toiletries also. Do wait for the detailed blood work and consult a gynecologist for detailed examination in case the bruise persists.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.