What causes bruises on the cheek and neck after suffering a concussion?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Healthy Living
Question: I had a fall about a week ago and hit my head on the bed post. The hit was on the left lateral portion above my outer eyebrow line. I have no serious pain, but it bruised severely and with gravity, gave me two black eyes and my right check and neck are bruised. The question is that I have a large lump above my eyebrow that doesn't seem to go down. I started with ice and now alternate ice and heat. I have been taking Aleve daily. Is there any more I should do?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It might be hematoma and is not dangerous but drainage might be needed

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HCM.
I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Very likely the concerns you have are not related to severe damages and are going to be self-limiting and heal with time but If you have a large lump that has developed after the trauma and is there still it might be due to a hematoma (bleeding) being stuck in that area in the form of the coagulated blood- this is not dangerous but it might take time to naturally absorb. If this is the case sometimes going to the doctor and having a small incision and draining the hematome might help it heal quicker.

Another issue at the area is to make sure there are no fractures of the bones there. Very likely if you do not have much pain than it is unlikely to have fractures at the area but it is always good to check with a doctor to make sure.

Stopping aspirine for a while seems a good idea but I would say that if you take it due to increased cardiovascular risks than you will need to restart it in a few days.
Aleve, I would recommend you to use it in case you have pain- if not I would not use it as medications in its family might cause increased risk for bleeding a some patients, not very often but it might happen.
Icing I am not sure is beneficial now. It would be good the first hour and a little in the next 2 days but after day 2 there is not much help by using ice.

So to summarize I would say:
1. very likely it is not dangerous the presence of the lump but it might be needed a visit to see the need to be drained
2. in the visit the doctor will check the bones also.
3. I would not recommend aleve if you do not have pain
4. ice is generally not effective in this stage (more than 2 days after the trauma)
5. Consider restarting aspirine in a few days in case it is given due to cardiovascular risk

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please let me know if any more clarifications related to this are needed.

Kind regards

Dr Antoneta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T