What causes bruise on the back of the leg when diagnosed with renal failure?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Kidney Conditions
Question: The picture is back of leg, lady just got from hospital has renal failure, dialysis this week,Maslow has conjuative heart failure. Also diagnosed with anemia. Been sleeping since we arrived home yesterday, although wakes to ear..just want to make sure leg is not clotting.. Thank u, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
picture shows a bruise

Detailed Answer:

the picture you have posted shows a bruise . it is like an injury to soft tissue with some blood clots in the skin layers.

to differentiate from blood clotting in the legs - best would be to see the limb temperature. If you feel that the extremities ( ankle and foot) of this leg are cold than the other leg by touching with your hands, it is likely to be problem in the arterial blood supply of the limb.

Now you see if there is swelling of the limb, if it is more swollen than the other limb this can point to venous thrombosis. just by presence of red scar, bruise or hematoma( clots) we can not label it as thrombosis. Usually these normalize over 2 weeks slowly by themselves.

But if the above examination findings are positive as discussed then we need to do an ultrasound dopplar to prove any thrombosis.

best wishes
Dr Ravi Bansal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj