• question-icon

What causes bruise on breast in an elderly person?

Posted on Thu, 3 Dec 2015 in General Health
Question: I am 84 yrs. old and have bright red bruise on the lower right side of my breast about 3" long & 1" high.
I take Eliquis 5mg twice a day plus Blood pressure medications: Lasix, 20mg, Potassium CL 10MEQ ER ,Lisinopril: 40 mg 2x day, Lopressor 50mg 2x day, metformin 500mg 1x da Lipitor 10mg. Could a combination or anyone of these be causing this problem? I have had these bruises for the past few months and they eventually subside. This latest one looks more severe. I called my cardiologist, they referred me to my primary Doctor and p. Dr. has not returned my call yet.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
eliquis probably caused it...

Detailed Answer:

the only drug that may cause this kind of problem is eliquis. There is nothing wrong with the combination. Bleeding is a common problem with eliquis and similar drugs. The older individuals have 'weaker' skin structure and their blood vessels are more prone to rupture and bleeding. Thus eliquis may cause bruises.

Perhaps you can discuss with your doctor about alternatives like coumarin drugs for example.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis