What causes bruise-like spots on the arms?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my husband age 63 gets blood spots right under the top level of the epidermal on both arms. It stays for a few days and then goes away. It isn't bruising, but it looks like it. He has a stent in one of his heart blood vessels and has gout everywhere. He also has two stryker knees that seem to gather the gout. He is unable to take the usual gout medicine as he turns grey. But what has us really stumped is the spots on his arms. Sometimes they are huge, but not painful and bend along with his skin.

Takes ibuprophen 800 mgs
hydrocodone 10 mg
and atorvastatin 40 mgs and tamselosin .4 mg
and Lisinopril at some dosage, we can't find the bottle.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Is he on a blood thinner?

Detailed Answer:
HI and thank you so much for this query.

I have reviewed the image and the information fully. Before we get to responding to this question in full, is your husband on any blood thinners? It will be strange to think he had a heart stent and not on some sort of blood thinner. Let me hear you out on this. Also, has he been taking any steroids or on any other supplements? HAs he had a blood clotting profile evaluated?

I hope to hear back from you so as to factor all these in my response and provide a personalized, comprehensive and helpful response to you. Until then, stay good.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 13 hours later
He says that he takes Lisinopril that he considers a blood thinner and that the ibuprophen should thin his blood. He's going to the pharmacy today to pick up meds. Will let you know his meds in total. He has not been taking steroids or supplements. His arm looks about the same today. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Am afraid the names are not exactly correct....Check them and report!

Detailed Answer:

Can you kindly report the names of the drugs she gets from the pharmacist today? I have a strong feeling she is mixing up the names when she talks of Ibuprofen and lisinopril as possible blood thinners. I will really appreciate that precision.

Hope to hear from you in a little.

Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 7 hours later
Lisinopril20mg tab lupin
Ibuprophen 800mg tab ace
Colcrys 0.6mg tab take
Metoprolol succinct ER 24hr 50mg tab
Testosterone cypionate 200 mg/MI inj Acta
Atorvastatin calcium 40mg tab Mylar

These are all his meds. New blood spots arriving.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 39 hours later
Brief Answer:
None of his medication seems responsible!

Detailed Answer:

Testosterone injections can cause similar bleeds but this seems too large. I will request for a full clotting profile as this is not immediately clear why he should develop such a spontaneous bleed. Also, it will be nice to do a full blood count so as to qualify his platelet counts.

Let me know what we get from these laboratory investigations.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
Clots started about 9 months ago. Says he has had three blood tests lately to the point his doc doesn't want to give him any more. Testosterone was low on two and liver was a bit above range. Maybe it is because he had a laser
prostrate operation???? Started happening after that.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 45 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wouldn’t incriminate prostate surgery!

Detailed Answer:

The real cause stills remains elusive to me. Laser prostate surgery seems unlikely. The unfortunate thing is that I cannot lay hands on anything that seems to suggest a possible lead to the cause. I will say let’s observe a little and maybe something would help direct us to the possible cause. I must stress that there are no redflags that put his health in immediate danger.

I hope this helps. I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 22 hours later
Spoke to a woman at an art opening she has same markings from Warfrin
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I thought as much.

Detailed Answer:

I thought as much but seems he’s not on this. Keep me posted if something else comes up.

I wish you well.