What causes brownish vaginal discharge?

Posted on Wed, 30 Aug 2017 in Women's Health
Question: My period has been brown almost melted chocolate consistency for the last 3. The last 2 have only been 5 days apart. Any ideas
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Laci,

A dark brown thicker appearance to the period blood usually means that there is less blood and so it has sat around and become darker, as opposed to the brisker, bright red bleeding that happens when there is more bleeding happening. It's likely that you may not actually be ovulating fi your periods have been irregular and only 5 days apart. Failure to ovulate can happen when there is stress (physical or psychological) in the weeks prior to expected time for ovulation which is, in a normal cycle, 2 weeks before the period.

When ovulation does not happen, the normal process of increase progesterone following ovulation, which ripens the blood tissue developing in the uterus, does not happen, and so bleeding can be early, late, light, or heavier. Basically, it will be atypical because it is unregulated.

You might want to go in to see your doctor to discuss this if it has happened for 3 months. Your doctor may want to give you a progestin such as Provera for approximately a week, to simulate the progesterone that you may not be making because of not ovulating. When you finish the Provera, after a day or two you will have a more normal period. Your doctor may also want to measure your FSH and LH levels to make sure you are not going into menopause, but this may not be necessary as this time.

If you have not had a recent pelvic exam, your doctor will likely want to do one to make sure the bleeding is not from a polyp or other cause. But it sounds more period related.

Oral contraceptives will regulate this if you are interested and this pattern continues and is annoying.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh