What causes brownish vaginal discharge and cramps at the time of periods?

Question
Alright so I am on sprintec birth control. My doctor told me to continuously take the active pills and skip all placebos to help with my extremely painful periods and to help treat endometriosis I may have. This is my third month on it, but every time I would normally be about to get my period, I still get a tiny bit of cramps and weird really dark brown thick blood stuff..ive never missed a day and have been taking the active pills continuously! So what could be happening?? Should i stop taking the pill? Please help :( *im 17 btw*
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue with the pills.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The mild brownish discharge and cramps at the tine of periods is due to the natural cycles of your body caused by the changing hormones. If you will stop the pills then the pain will be more intense during the periods. The bleeding that you are having is not worrisome. Do continue with the pills as suggested by your doctor.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes brownish vaginal discharge and cramps at the time of periods? 13 minutes later
What if the discharge is very dark brown and goopy/thick? Is that still normal? And also will the bleeding eventually stop once I get used to the hormones?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will stop.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Even if the discharge is very dark brown and thick it is not worrisome. Yes the bleeding will eventually stop once your body gets used to these hormones.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.