• question-icon

What causes brownish semen?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi I am recently widowed for 6 months. And 70 yrs. Old my question is what causes my sperm to be Brown in color and is there something I can take to get a complete erection if I ever get back in the dating scene Haven't been too active in the past 2 yrs With my wife suffering from cancer
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Time to get evaluated

Detailed Answer:
Brown semen may not be bad news, but i suggest than your case, in view of the fact that you are now 70 years, to get a basic work up done.

This could include a physical examination including a rectal examination for prostate, a urine analysis, an ultrasound examination for prostate if required, and serum PSA if any suspicion that the prostate is not the way it's supposed to be.

More often than not, it could be due to a prolonged abstinence or a mild infection, and you could get better with the use of simple antibiotics such as Tab Ciprofloxacin 500 mg Twice daily for a week or so.

I suggest you receive treatment for poorer erections after the present clinical condition resolves which also probably will not be difficult, and in the absence of any significant medical co-morbid condition such as a heart disease, there is no reason why you cannot be placed on drugs like Sildenafil or Tadalafi on demand.

Hope I have been of help.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. V. Sasanka

Urologist