What causes brown vaginal discharge and cramps when home pregnancy tests are positive?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 25 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I am 5 Weeks 3 days pregnant. I found out I was pregnant a week and a half ago, quite early actually because I got very ill after going to the dentist and having Novocain. I haven’t had any morning sickness, my breasts aren’t sore anymore, however I still take at home pregnancy tests daily and they are positive. I have to wait til January 10 for my first OB / ultrasound appt. which is why I take the tests because I don’t feel pregnant. I’m feeling a bit crampy today, and just noticed brownish / red blood when I wiped after urinating. I’m petrified that I’m miscarrying. I’m also fearful that I jeopardized my pregnancy as I had been drinking up to 3 glasses of wine or cocktails n a nearly daily basis and smoking up to 10 cigarettes daily not knowing I had conceived. This has been an issue I have been working with a mental health provider for as it relates to poor coping / stress. I stopped immediately once I found out I was pregnant. Please advise on what I should do regarding my current symptoms and how the poor habits may have contributed to this. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be implantation bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
The mild spotting that you had can be due to an implantation bleeding. Since the repeated pregnancy tests are positive the pregnancy is confirmed. Regular smoking and drinking can cause miscarriage and other fetal malformation but it is usually seen if these are continued for 3-4 months. Now that you have stopped all these early there is no need to worry. The mild spotting that you had usually stops on its own. Just relax and take rest. Avoid any stressful activities and any heavy work. Avoid having intercourse and wait for your appointment to get an ultrasound scan done to confirm the pregnancy.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 hours later
Thank you. My bleeding is heavier today, not much more in cramping. How long is this expected to last?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually a spotting only.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
An implantation bleeding is usually a spotting only and is not associated with a heavy bleeding. It lasts for a day or two. In case the bleeding continues then do attend an ER for evaluation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.