What causes brown vaginal discharge and continuous spotting?

Dr. Bhagyashree.B

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 5 May 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I am 52 years old, I had a brown discharge that lasted for 2 days. Then I began spotting for seven days, after seven days my normal period came on and now its still on twelve days later.I don't have cramps or any pain, I had a normal period. Now I am just spotting a light red color.
Answered by Dr. Bhagyashree.B 1 hour later
Brief Answer: please do papsmear,thyroid profile tests. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX Thanks for writing to healthcare magic. As you are approaching menopause these irregularities are common. The endometrial lining becomes thin around menopause due to less of estrogen hormone. There may also be changes in thyroid hormone levels. This causes premenstrual spotting and also light bleeding after period. This is harmless provided your papsmear in the last year has been normal. There is no need for any medication in this cycle if the bleeding resolves on its own. If persistent then please consult your doctor for a prescription for tranexamic acid 500mg . Also please repeat your papsmear test and thyroid profile if it has been more than a year since the last test. You may require a pelvic scan too if symptoms persist to look for uterine fibroids or polyps. Please write back if you have more queries. Thanks Dr Bhagyashree.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj