What causes brown spotting?

Posted on Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: hello...the next day after my period i had unprotected sex and he discharge inside me.i am still having discharge brown and am not on pill...so does it mean im pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: The possibility of pregnancy is less Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. If you are having regular periods, the possibility of pregnancy is less. Because usually ovulation will not occur in the first week of menstrual period in case of regular 28 to 30 days cycle. The spotting you are having could be due to: - hormonal imbalance - postcoital tear -Local causes like cervical erosion etc. If the spotting subsides and doesn't repeat, no need to worry. If it persists once consult gynecologist and get examined. If you miss your expected date of periods in next month, go for pregnancy test once. Hope I have answered your question. I will be available to answer followup questions. If you are satisfied with the response please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 hours later
hello..am not getting my period regular since i got married can i knw why it is like this as am a bit worried abt that
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Examination and investigations Detailed Answer: Hi, Irregular periods can occur due to many causes like: -Hormonal imbalance due to poly cystic ovary disease or stress and strain or weight changes etc. -Thyroid hormonal abnormalities -Prolactin levels abnormalities -General causes like anemia, diabetes etc. So, to find out the cause for irregular periods detailed examination and investigations are needed. Once consult gynecologist, get examined and go for investigations like ultrasound, hemoglobulin levels, thyroid profile, prolactin levels etc. With this workup the possible cause for your problem can be identified and treated. Take care.
Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN