What causes brown specks and mucus in stool?

Question
I had an incident today while at my desk where I had a "diarrhea-like episode. I have had a few loose stools but not anything major. i went to the restroom to check it out and it was clear- just a few brown specs but mostly mucus like substance. The weird part was that it actually smelled like semen- i am not sure if because both are mucus like. I was just wondering if I need to have it checked out. I do not have diarhea symptoms now. This happened about an hour ago
xxxx
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Amebic infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

I do see many patients in my clinic with similar complaints, most common cause would be amebic infection. which usually presents with similar complaints. It usually self limiting in many of patients, only symptomatic treatment required.
As you had only one episode of symptoms, no treatment is required.

In amebic infection stool contains lot of mucus with unusual smell,Do smell like semen on few, but its not semen. usually losts for a day or 2. No need for investigations,

If your symptoms persists for more than a week and repeated attacks of similar symptoms need to get evaluated for any intestinal problem.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to ask further related query.