What causes brown semen?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Men's Health
Question: My ejaculation is light brown- has been so for about a month
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tests and clinical evaluation and examination to rule out the causes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thank for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/78 - taking meloxicam and methotrexate for psoriatic arthritis - ejaculation is light brown for about a month.

To know the exact cause, I would advise you the following:
Semen analysis to see for the cause of light brown color, whether blood or not.
Blood tests: PSA, CBC, bleeding time, clotting time.
Ultrasonography of the abdomen and scrotum particularly for genito-urinary system, per-rectal ultrasound for better definition of prostate.
Per-rectal digital examination by a Surgeon

This will help to rule out the common cause of light brown semen and get stress-free.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Also please let me know since when have you been taking Meloxicam and Methotrexate. If you are taking these for a long time, these may not be responsible for light brown semen.

With regards.